Saturday 4 August 2012

London 2012 Cushions



The Fabric Warehouse has stocked some fabulous prints for the Diamond Jubilee and London 2012. I bought a selection not really knowing what to do with them. The obvious choice was cushion covers for a quick and easy make. 
  I was looking for a simple design as I wanted the fabric to be the feature of the cushion covers. A search of the Internet came up with various patterns. I decided to go for a basic envelope design that I could make quickly when I found myself with a free hour one evening. This design  required 1 large piece of fabric for the front of the cover and 2 smaller overlapping pieces of fabric for the back. 

A quick cheat that I was taught at school was to place a pin in fabric at 90 degrees to the direction of sewing. It saves time tacking the fabric as you can sew straight over the pins. 


I snipped  the corners off before turning the cover the right way out. This makes for a neater corner. 

First cushion cover finished. Not bad for an hour's work.


I got a bit braver with the other covers and made them slightly more elaborate by  sewing a hem an inch in from the edge to make a boarder.


There was a slight problem. I didn't make the envelope overlap big enough. Together with the fact that I had made the covers 2 inches smaller than the cushion measurement, the cushions were bulging out.

You couldn't tell this from the from the front, but it bothered me, so I added some buttons and loops of elastic to to fasten then.


All ready for sit down with a nice cup of tea.

Bea-Bea helps out