Monday 19 December 2011

Charity Blanket for Refuge




Simply Knitting magazine had an appeal for knitted squares to make blankets for the domestic violence charity Refuge.  
I thought that as a knitting club we could make a contribution. It would also me a good way to use up some left over DK wool in my stash.

I knitted a few squares whilst I was on holiday. It took a couple of attempts to get the square the right size - 6x6 inches. I settled on a 5 knit 5 purl moss stitch over 6 rows on 5mm needles. A knitted a couple more squares and then & got a bit carried away. I had almost enough to make a child's blanket. 
My friend had made a few squares, but decided that they were too pale to fit my colour scheme. I lent her some blue wool and she made squares to match mine & help complete the blanket.

As usual, I finished sewing it all together at 11pm the night before I had to post it. It was worth the late night knowing that it will help to keep a child in a Refuge safe house warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment